Did You Know Physical Therapy Could Help Improve Your Sports Performance?
Sports physical therapy is an ever-growing field of focus. In fact, according to the International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, “The specialty niche of sports physical therapy has grown at a significant rate over the past 40 years.”
So, what does a sports physical therapist do? A sports physical therapist is dedicated to helping you reach your goals – and developing new ones!
By participating in a training and/or rehabilitation program, your peak performance is something that you and your sports physical therapist will define, and something that can be grown upon throughout the course of your sessions.
Sports physical therapy can help you reach your peak performance, whether you’re recovering from an injury or trying to strengthen your skills.
If you are interested in reaching your peak performance and learning more about our programs and services, call our office today! Your sports physical therapist will be right there with you, every step of the way, until you are able to reach your end goal.
Sports physical therapists and injury relief
People most commonly turn to physical therapy after sustaining an injury. You’re in pain, looking for relief and recovery, and trying to find the motivation to push yourself to get there.
As stated by the American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy, there are six pillars of sports physical therapy:
- Acute Management of Athletic Injury
- Sports Rehabilitation and Sports Performance
- Return To Play Following Athletic Injury
- Sports Science is the Core of Our Foundation
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration
Sports physical therapists are trained to help you bounce back from your injury, with just as much strength (if not more!) than you had before the injury. They are dedicated to always helping you reach your peak, whatever that may be.
Sports physical therapists and athletic training
Athletes, by nature, generally desire to push themselves to accomplish new goals. Sometimes an athlete may master one sport, only to take on the challenge of mastering a new one. Olympic sprinters take on the slopes at the winter games, and college athletes win national titles in multiple sports for this exact reason.
With sports physical therapy, your goals never have to be definite. A sports physical therapist can help you reach the peak of your performance in one sport and then help you tackle the summit of another.
Strength training is a big part of our athletic training program, as it helps make sure your body is in its peak shape for the demands of your sport. Stronger muscles help you move better, in addition to supporting circulatory and breathing systems.
Strength training helps in building muscle mass, and can be an integral aspect in your success as an athlete. Strength training, and athletic training in general, can help you achieve your optimum physical performance!
How will I benefit from working with a sports physical therapist?
- Overcoming injuries. Sports physical therapy treatments are some of the best ways to overcome an injury and find relief for your pain. Each treatment is designed specifically to the needs of each individual and the condition of their injury, consisting of exercises and strength-building activities that are unique to their recovery.
- Refocusing strengths. A sports physical therapist can help you focus on improving your strength in areas that you may not have considered. Many parts of the body influence each other, and strengthening one can help with the function of another. Rather than jumping directly into a new form of activity, it makes sense to train your body to react to the new form of stimulation by improving your muscular strength and range of motion.
- Developing healthy habits. While a sports physical therapist can help you reach physical goals, they can also help you work on general wellness goals, as well. For example, regular exercise, a healthy diet, and a strong focus on hydration are fundamental in improving your physical fitness level. A sports physical therapist is a great resource to have when focusing on increasing strength and muscular functionality, as they can help you improve in all aspects of health and wellness.
Ready to get started on improving your athletic performance? Contact us today
Many times, sports physical therapy is a step-by-step process. Each step focuses on realistic goals for you to reach, all leading up to the end goal that you and your sports physical therapist create together.
Schedule a consultation with one of our sports physical therapists today to discuss your athletic goals and the steps you’ll need to take to reach them!